Calibration Laboratories & Training
OSIL offer a full consultancy, procurement and training service for the establishment of calibration laboratories within a customer's own environment. We are able to specify and provide all of the required equipment, install this at the client's site, and provide training & support to enable the end user to undertake calibrations in the following parameters:
Conductivity readings can be affected by mineral build up on the electrodes, biofouling or damage to the glass cell. Conductivity sensors are usually calibrated by OSIL with 9 points, and a minimum of 5 points, in variable temperature circulated salt water calibration baths and all points are checked using one of our in-house Guildline salinometers.
Temperature sensors are usually calibrated by OSIL at 9 points, and a minimum of 5 points, often alongside the conductivity calibrations, using variable temperature circulated salt water calibration baths.
Pressure / Depth (D)
Non-temperature compensated calibrations are undertaken at room temperature using a dead weight tester. Multiple pressure points are taken spanning the full scale range of the pressure sensor. The raw data from the pressure sensor measurement is then curve fit to the actual pressure applied by the dead weight tester.
Sound Velocity (SV)
Accurate sound velocity measurements are critical for sonar and multibeam systems to correct density differences through the water column. Calibration is undertaken in fresh water for greater accuracy (0.02 m/s instead of 0.25 m/s in salt water), and in precisely controlled homogenous conditions using a circulated calibration tank with heat flow controls. Total dissolved solids must be less than 10 ppm, and the temperature must be stable and measured to within 0.0002° C (using a Platinum Resistance Thermometer).
Temperature Standards/Transfer Standards:
- Isotech Melt Point of Gallium
- Triple Point of Water
- Tinsley SPRT
- Isotech Bridge
- Guildline Autosal and Portasal
- IAPSO Standard Seawater
- OSIL are ideally placed regarding calibration standards for conductivity and salinity, as OSIL operates the IAPSO Standard Seawater service from within its facilities, and are global representatives for Guildline salinometers.
- Dead Weight Tester
- (calibrated to UKAS standards)
Guildline 5600 Specifications
- Range -5°C to 55 °C
- Stability ± 0.001 °C
Guildline 8400B Specifications
- Range 2 to 42
- Accuracy ± 0.002
- Range 100 to 10,000 PSI
- Accuracy Better than 0.01% of reading
DC Bridge Specifications
- Accuracy < ± 0.5ppm
- Resolution 0.25ppm
- Range -189 °C to 660 °C
- Accuracy ± 0.001°C
- Institute of Deep-Sea Science & Engineering, China
- Ocean University of China
- Ashtead Technology, UK, Singapore, Houston
- Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation, Italy
- Malaysian Navy
- Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research
- Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale, Italy