2.6m Metocean Buoy (Skua)
OSIL’s Skua Buoy is a versatile instrumentation platform ideally suited for collection and measurement of oceanographic, meteorological (metocean) and water quality data parameters in open water applications, as well as inshore coastal areas.
Instrumentation can be deployed anywhere from near surface to the seabed. The data buoys can be moored in a fixed position with either single point, dual point or compliant mooring (where required).
The system is supplied with a range of sensors that can specified by the customer (including CTD, DO, pH/ORP, Turbidity, Chlorophyll, Rhodamine, current speed/direction, wind speed/direction, temperature, humidity, pressure, rainfall and solar radiation, as well as a GPS locator). All buoys are fitted with solar panels, navigation/warning lights and other markings as necessary. A range of telemetry options are available (UHF/VHF, GSM, GPRS, Satellite), selected to suit both the location and application requirements. OSIL provide a complete data telemetry solution, including either desk top or web-based software packages to access the data.
The buoys are 2.6 m in diameter, with a total buoyancy of 5700 kg, and have a reserve buoyancy of 3300 kg after fitting the equipment such as solar panels, battery packs and monitoring instrumentation, etc.
The OSIL range of buoys are manufactured using rotationally moulded polyethylene hulls, which are foam filled for added security. The hulls are constructed around a galvanised steel or welded polyethylene central structure, which has a large hole through the centre which allows the passage of instrumentation and cables from the tower down through the water column to the seabed. By utilising a ‘Moon Pool’, instrumentation in the centre of the buoy is well protected from damage during deployment and operation.
Related Case Study
Environmental Monitoring in Lake Victoria
- Robust construction
- Modular design making transportation easy and replacement of equipment simple
- Through hull compartment for safe positioning of equipment
- Interchangeable components
- Highly stable in operation
- Solar power systems available as self-contained modules or separate larger panels for higher power load
- Range of towers available to suit the application
- Mooring systems available for inshore waters and open sea locations
- Offshore design and operations
- Meteorological and climatological studies
- Suitable for deepwater operations
- Harbour monitoring
- Coastal engineering
- Scientific studies
- Wave energy studies
- Maritime traffic control
- Water quality control studies
- Diameter 2.6m
- Reserve Buoyancy (after payload) 3300kg
- Weight 2400kg
- Focal Plane 4m
- Ballast Weight 400kg
- Met (Wind speed & direction, Temperature, Barometric Pressure, Humidity, Precipitation, Visibility, PAR)
- Water Quality (CTD, DO, pH, Turbidity, Chlorophyll A, BGA, PCO2, TSS)
- Oceanographic (Current speed & direction, Wave height & direction)
- Additional sensors can be incorporated, please contact us for details.
- OSIL Skua Buoy Download pdf
- Environmental Monitoring in Lake Victoria Download pdf