Hydrocarbon: Oil spill monitor
A remote non contact hydrocarbon sensor for the detection of oil spill events and/ or routine monitoring of hydrocarbons. Typical installation sites include power stations, desalination plants, oil refineries & bunkering, industrial outflows, airports, ports & harbours.
The detection of these petroleum products, including crude oil, diesel/fuel oil, motor oil, lube oil, gasoline, food oils etc. near the water surface is widely required and a timely alert enables countermeasures, not only limiting damage to the environment, but also reducing costs for remediation and clean-up.
The remote optical sensor is installed looking downwards, up to 10m meters above the water level. The sensor technology is based on fluorescence excitation and detection. Due to the very low power consumption it is possible to use directly connected to AC or via a solar panel / battery set-up, the unit can be continuously unattended and requires very little maintenance. The system automatically filters out ambient conditions (e.g. sunlight), providing highly reliable detection under all light, weather and water surface conditions.
In case of a spill, the sensor provides an instant warning, enabling users to activate countermeasures, e.g. shutting off pumps or valves and notify personnel via a variety of interfaces and wireless options. The sensor is designed and manufactured for deployment in rugged settings. The non-contact installation above water eases installation and operation and eliminates problems such as bio-fouling. The sensors can be used as stand-alone monitors or within a strategically mounted network interconnected by the included software.
The sensors can be fitted to the entire OSIL range of data buoys to further protect remote areas.
- Dimensions 66 x 8 x 8 cm
- Weight Less than 2Kg
- Observed area at fixed position 1m²
- Real-time around-the-clock detection and control of oil spills for:
- ◦ Petrochemical industry, pipelines
- ◦ Harbours
- ◦ Desalination, intake protection
- ◦ Aquaculture
- Fresh, brackish or saltwater environments
- Highly effective UV LED-based excitation
- Cost effective, virtually maintenance free
- Non-contact measurement to avoid biofouling
- Flexible configuration of data output
- Multiple interfaces for network connectivity
- Ruggedized design (IP68)
- Aluminium, Stainless Steel and ATEX versions available