Giant Piston Corer (18m-60m)
The increased penetration depth of the Giant Piston Corer has made it an important tool in the study of marine sediments.
Piston core samples are usually longer, less disturbed and more complete than those from gravity corers.
The main advantages of a Giant Piston Corer over a Gravity Corer are the longer and less disturbed samples. The action of the piston reduces internal friction and prevents plugging. Cores up to 60m are possible in soft sediments and muds.
The system is lowered to the seabed, where the acoustic release mechanism triggers the final free fall penetration to obtain a core sample.
Related Case Study
GSI Undertake Bathymetric Studies in Central Andaman Trough
- Geological studies
- Marine chemistry
- Ocean floor processes
- Up to 60m cores
- Programmable Acoustic Release
- Minimal ‘down’ time
- Varying core lengths
- Robust and easy to use
- Core Lengths: up to 60m (other lengths available on request)
- Internal core diameter: 100mm
- Barrel diameter: 125-168mm
- Total weight: 4000-12000kg
- OSIL Giant Piston Corer Download pdf
- GSI undertake bathymetric studies in Central Andaman Trough Download pdf